[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 00:12:43 CET 2008

On 06/01/2008, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> My question becomes whether we want to allow something like this even
> if we explicitly state people should not use this mechanism to
> override pre-existing modules.  Do we want people tossing stuff into
> the 'databases' package, or should the packages in the stdlib be
> considered sacred? I am leaning towards not, but that's because I
> personally like knowing that if I import something from a stdlib
> namespace it is from the stdlib.  I don't want some bug report from a
> naive user of cx_Oracle ending up in the stdlib because the import
> came from the 'databases' package. And I would guess that if you don't
> consider this a stdlib thing but for any third-party package that
> other third-party packages would not love other packages mucking with
> their namespace.

I see the point, but I'm against reserving generic package names like
"databases" for the stdlib, unless 3rd parties can add modules in
there. Another example might be "gui.tkinter" - why shouldn't "gui.wx"
be allowed?

If we want a "guaranteed-stdlib" package form, we should probably have
a top-level package, "std" or whatever. That notion has, I believe,
been shot down before (no time to look up references now).

Paul.