[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Reed O'Brien reed at reedobrien.com
Mon Jan 7 03:07:07 CET 2008

On Jan 6, 2008, at 6:28 PM, Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 11:12:43PM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
>> If we want a "guaranteed-stdlib" package form, we should probably
>> have
>> a top-level package, "std" or whatever.
>
>    py.
>
>> That notion has, I believe,
>> been shot down before (no time to look up references now).
>
>    Mr Van Rossum has spoken against it many times.
>
>    Now I think - if we don't want a separate Python's top-level
> namespace
> may be we should think about a separate top-level non-Python's (3rd
> parties') namespace?

I think some things make sense to move some things into a common
namespace:
hashlib, email, xml et al...

I also think there are probably other candidates for similar grouping
and cleanup, but I don't have a well thought out set. (db, url??,
zip??); and I think it is happening, albeit slowly.

> With it we could have database.sqlite (Python's
> sqlite) and user.database.sqlite (a newer version); and by doing
> import
> database.sqlite you know exactly what version you are importing.

At first blush I am +1 for a third party or non stdlib namespace;
user is already a module though.
Other ideas: sitepkg, addon, extra, ext

But then what of packages that are already namespaced? It would be
tedious to;
from sitepkg.zope.app.interface import SomeThing

So while I like the idea, I think I am against wedging everything
into namespaces just for the sake of it; at the end of the day I
think I am -1 on *requiring* it.

Additionally, I have only been reading this list for a week or so and
feel a little like I may be injecting a novice and poorly formed
opinion into a discussion that has been ongoing for years. Please
pardon my ignorance if this is the case.

~ro