[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] inst_persistent_id

Alexandre Vassalotti alexandre at peadrop.com
Sun Jan 13 01:33:38 CET 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 12:25 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> If there are no objections, I'll update the Python 2 documentation to
> describe this and add a test.  The comment above suggests that this
> hook is in pickle and cPickle.  It is in cPickle, but was removed from
> pickle.  I propose to add it back to pickle -- mainly for consistency
> with cPickle.  I'll need to double check how this interacts with the
> type dispatching in pickle protocol 2.
>
> Any objections?

Well, in Python 3K, inst_persistent_id() won't be usable, since
PyInstance_Type was removed. Adding (actually supporting) this feature
in Python 2.x will make it slightly harder to port code. So, I think
it would probably best to leave it as it is right now -- i.e.,
undocumented and unsupported.

By the way, you might be interested to look at my work on pickle [1]
for Python 3K. As part of last year Summer of Code, I removed the
differences between the Python and C implementation of pickle, and
thus allowing the C version to be transparently used, instead of the
Python one, when it is available. Currently, I am polishing the code
for inclusion into the main branch. I also started to work on the next
version of the pickle protocol, that will make it more suitable for
Python 3K. If you are interested to help out, just send me an email
and I will explain you what needs to be done.

-- Alexandre

.. [1] http://peadrop.com/alex-py3k/?file/91639e5487dc/Modules/_picklemodule.c