[Python-Dev] PEP: per user site-packages directory

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jan 14 22:44:56 CET 2008

On 2008-01-14 22:23, Christian Heimes wrote:
> The PEP is now available at http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/.
> The reference implementation is in svn, too:
> svn+ssh://pythondev@svn.python.org/sandbox/trunk/pep370

Thanks for the effort, Christian. Much appreciated.

Regarding the recent ~/bin vs. ~/.local/bin discussion:

I usually maintain my ~/bin directories by hand and wouldn't want
any application to install things in there automatically (and so far
I haven't been using any application that does), so I'd be
in favor of the ~/.local/bin dir.

Note that users typically don't know which scripts are made
available by a Python application and it's not always clear
what functionality they provide, whether they can be trusted,
include bugs, need to be run with extra care, etc, so IMHO
making it a little harder to run them by accident is well
warranted.

Thanks again,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 14 2008)