[Python-Dev] Python-Dev Digest, Vol 54, Issue 57

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Tue Jan 15 21:29:16 CET 2008

    Daniel> I use ~/local, with a layout analogous to /usr, ...

Ditto.  Makes things nice and clear.  I install stuff without becoming root
or polluting central directories.

    Daniel> To those folks who favor creating ~/bin, ~/lib, ~/share, ad
    Daniel> nauseum, I point out that non-hidden, non-user-created files in
    Daniel> ~ ought to be kept to a minimum. It is, after all, the user's
    Daniel> default workspace.

Agreed.  You're just asking for trouble if you set --prefix=$HOME.
Eventually you will encounter some package which would have scribbled all
over /usr/local and only disrupted other external packages (which you can
always reinstall) but instead scribbles all over your home directory, wiping
out your almost finished Ph.D. thesis in Library Science which you had saved
to ~/lib.

Skip