[Python-Dev] PEP: per user site-packages directory

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:06:16 CET 2008

Steve Holden wrote:
> Christian Heimes wrote:
>> Steve Holden wrote:
>>> Maybe once we get easy_install as a part of the core (so there's no need
>>> to find and run ez_setup.py to start with) things will start to improve.
>>> This is an issue the whole developer community needs to take seriously
>>> if we are interested in increasing take-up.
>> setuptools and easy_install won't be included in Python 2.6 and 3.0:
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0365/
>>
> Yes, and yet another release (two releases) will go out without easy
> access to the functionality in Pypi. PEP 365 is a good start, but Pypi
> loses much of its point until new Python users get access to it "out of
> the box". I also appreciate that resource limitations are standing in
> the way of setuptools' inclusion (is there something I can do about
> that?) Just to hammer the point home, however ...

Have another look at the rationale given in PEP 365 - it isn't the
resourcing to do the work that's a problem, but the relatively slow
release cycle of the core.

By including pkg_resources in the core (with the addition of access to
pure Python modules and packages on PyPI), we would get a simple, stable
base for Python packaging to work from, and put users a single standard
command away from the more advanced (but also more volatile) features of
easy_install and friends.

Cheers,
Nick.