[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (was Re: PEP: per user site-packages directory)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jan 21 22:46:22 CET 2008

> What I meant was that we could include an easy_install.py whose sole
> function is to ensure that setuptools is installed and then invoke
> the "real" easy_install.  Thus, the first time you ran easy_install,
> a current version would be downloaded, and thereafter the real one
> would be runnable.

Despite my (well-known) objections to setuptools as the foundation for
the .egg format (and everything that comes with it), I think that would
be a desirable and easy thing to do. Including a setuptools bootstrapper
into the distribution still leaves the choice of actually using
setuptools to the end user.

Regards,
Martin