[Python-Dev] Is anyone porting PyNumber_ToBase to trunk?

Eric Smith eric+python-dev at trueblade.com
Thu Jan 24 21:40:39 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2008 7:40 AM, Eric Smith <eric+python-dev at trueblade.com> wrote:
>> In 3.0, the code to implement long.__format__() calls PyNumber_ToBase to
>> do the heavy lifting.  If someone is planning on implementing
>> PyNumber_ToBase in 2.6, I'll wait for them to do so.  If not, I guess
>> I'll either do it myself, or hack around it.
>>
>> Is this on anyone's To Do list?  I don't see it on Brett's spreadsheet
>> at http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pCKY4oaXnT81FrGo3ShGHGg
>
> I'm sure this is because nobody had thought of this detail until now.
> Just get started on it. Feel free to add it to the spreadsheet.

It's an implementation detail of PEP 3127 (oct() and bin()), which is on
the spreadsheet.  I guess I'll have to work on oct() and bin() first.

The spreadsheet notes a possible __future__ statement requirement for
oct().  The PEP doesn't mention this, and I'm not sure I understand the
issue.  Any clues?