[Python-Dev] Organization of ABC modules

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Jan 26 00:15:50 CET 2008

All of the abstract base classes should be collected in one place.  I propose that the modules be collected into a package so that we can write:

   import abc.numbers
   import abc.collections
    . . .

Besides collecting all the relevant code in one place, it has a nice additional benefit of clearly designating when you're working with one of the provided abstract base classes.  When I see "import numbers", I don't immediately recognize this as being somehow different from "import math" or some other concrete implementation.

IMO. the emerging practice of spreading modules these across the library isn't serving us well.

Raymond