[Python-Dev] [python] TIOBE Programming Community Index

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Jan 26 13:26:12 CET 2008

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> Sorry if this is a repeat.  I don't remember seeing this in the various
> Python-related stuff I've received before (and no longer monitor c.l.py,
> only look at the weekly summary), though based on the dateline of the
> Slashdot item I saw (Jan 9) it should be old news.  Apparently, in 2007
> Python surged in the TIOBE Programming Community Index to #6, surpassing
> Perl:
>
>     http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
>
> It's got aways to go before it surpasses C++, but that's the next rung in
> the ladder...
>
> I'm a little suspicious of the data though.  Given the huge popularity in
> AJAX tools I would have expected JavaScript to have increased in popularity,
> not decreased.  Hmmm...  And they have both Delphi and COBOL jumping in
> popularity by three rungs.

This has been fairly widely reported - and in fact is on the front page
of Python.org!

A site with a more interesting range of metrics (in my opinion) is
'langpop':

http://www.langpop.com/

In its 'Normalized Comparison' it shows Python doing well, but not
*quite* having overtaken Perl yet.

All the best,

Michael Foord