[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r60283 - in python/trunk: Include/longintrepr.h Include/longobject.h Include/unicodeobject.h Misc/NEWS Modules/_fileio.c Objects/longobject.c Objects/unicodeobject.c setup.py

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sat Jan 26 17:04:35 CET 2008

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> Are you planning to backport bytearrays?  I thought we had clearly decided to *not* backport any of the text/bytes model so that the
> Py2.6 string/unicode model remained pure.

The idea raised when I was working on a backport of the io module. The
io module requires a mutable byte type. Guido answered a question in my
issue http://bugs.python.org/issue1919

Backporting bytearray should be relatively clean since it's a brand new
type right?

My initial question was:

I'm not sure how to proceed with the missing bytearray type:

 * backport bytearray and the new buffer interface from 3.0
 * write a replacement for 2.6
 * replace the bytearray code with new code

bytearray is a new type that has no equivalent in Python 2.6. Python
3.0's byte type is basically a modified string type. I don't see a
problem with bytearray, do you?

Christian