[Python-Dev] Assigning issues

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:20:52 CET 2008

Brett Cannon wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008 8:49 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at argo.es> wrote:
>> I just trying to open a new bug in bssdb module and assign it to me :-).
>> Seems I have no permissions to do that :-).
>
> We have not worked out any policy on this, but I always assumed we
> would only assign issues to people with commit privileges. I quick
> check suggests that you don't have them, Jesus. We can give you the
> rights to modify issues and set the assignment, but I don't know if
> you should be able to be assigned a bug yet.
>
> What do other people think?

Given that everyone is free to work on whichever issues are of interest
to them (and post comments to the relevant tracker items), I've always
seen the assignment field as a way to request that a specific committer
either fix the problem themselves, or review a proposed solution and
either suggest improvements or check it in.

I think you're right that there isn't really an official policy written
down anywhere though - PEP 3 doesn't go into that kind of detail.

Cheers,
Nick.