[Python-Dev] Can someone check my lib2to3 change for fix_imports?

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 18:36:30 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Benjamin Peterson
>> <musiccomposition at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well for starters, you know the test for fix_imports is disabled, right?
>>>

>> Nope, I forgot and turning it on has it failing running under 2.5.
>>

> And refactor.py cannot be run directly from 2.5 because of a relative
> import and in 2.6 (where runpy has extra smarts) it still doesn't work
> thanks to main() not being passed an argument is needs (Issue3131).

Why are you trying to run refactor.py directly, rather than using 2to3
(http://svn.python.org/view/sandbox/trunk/2to3/2to3) as an entry
point?

> Looks like 2to3 needs some TLC.

Agreed. A lot of the pending bugs seem to be related to the version of
lib2to3 in the stdlib, rather than the stand-alone product. Neal
Norwitz and I have been working to turn parts of 2to3 into a more
general refactoring library; once that's done (or even preferably
before), lib2to3 should be removed from the stdlib. It's causing far
more trouble than it's worth.

Collin