[Python-Dev] UCS2/UCS4 default

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jul 3 15:58:26 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven
<asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:
> My apologies for hammering on this, but I think it is quite important and
> currently Python 3.0 seems confused about UCS-2 versus UTF-16.
[...]

Your seem to be suggesting that len(u"\U00012345") should return 1 on
a system that internally uses UTF-16 and hence represents this string
as a surrogate pair.

This is not going to happen. You may as well complain to the authors
of the Java standard about the corresponding problem there.