[Python-Dev] urllib.quote and unquote - Unicode issues

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 13 01:10:01 CEST 2008

> Very nice, I had this somewhere on my todo list to work on. I'm very much
> in favour, especially since it synchronizes us with the RFCs (for all I
> remember reading about it last time).

I still think that it doesn't. The RFCs haven't changed, and can't
change for compatibility reasons. The encoding of non-ASCII characters
in URLs remains as underspecified as it always was.

Now, with IRIs, the situation is different, but I don't think the patch
claims to implement IRIs (and if so, it perhaps shouldn't change URL
processing in doing so).

Regards,
Martin