[Python-Dev] unittest's redundant assertions: asserts vs. failIf/Unlesses

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jul 13 22:15:01 CEST 2008

Steve Holden <steve <at> holdenweb.com> writes:
> But Guido said:
>
>  > I like using only the assertKeyword variants, removing assert_, fail*,
>  > and assertEquals.
>
> So we are now no longer discussing what color to paint the bike shed, we
> are discussing how to describe the color. Let's stop. This is getting silly.

It's certainly getting silly - the language is named Python after all!
However, the whole thread started by someone opposing Guido's statement above,
which at least explains (if not justifies) the origins of this particular
instance of silliness...

(and I've probably made my point explicitly enough, so I won't insist, even if I
sometimes enjoy arguing on my spare time ;-))

cheers

Antoine.