[Python-Dev] unittest's redundant assertions: asserts vs. failIf/Unlesses

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Jul 14 01:54:16 CEST 2008

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 04:19:57 am Mark Hammond wrote:
>
>> try to stick to the issue at hand
>
> I'm sorry, did I reply to the wrong message? I thought this was part of
> a thread titled "unittest's redundant assertions: asserts vs.
> failIf/Unlesses". What *is* the issue at hand if not the question of
> positive assertions versus fail if/unless?
>
>> As Steve said, this is getting silly...
>
> It certainly is.
>
> Python may be Guido's language, and if he wants to use his dictatorial
> powers to say that tests must be written as positive assertions because
> that's the way he likes it, that's his prerogative. But let's not
> pretend that this particular bike shed colour has any objectively
> rational reason, or that the change won't force some people to have to
> change the way they think about tests.

But sometimes even the wrong decision is better than no decision, and I
suspect most if us can agree that it's better if everyone thinks about
tests the same way. Otherwise test code is difficult to understand for
some of its user population.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119