[Python-Dev] Proposed unittest changes

Benjamin Peterson musiccomposition at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 01:32:21 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:.

> I would like to work with you or someone else who is interested
> on an alternative PEP for a separate, simpler test module
> using the py.test syntax.  That is much simpler to learn and use.
> Instead of self.assertIsNot and whatnot, you write:
>  assert a is not b
> No need for tons of word-by-word spellings on things we already
> have syntax for.  Almost anyone who has used py.test can attest
> its syntax is much more natural, easy to learn, easy to both
> read and write, and is much lighter weight.  I think some variant
> of py.test could be done that is compatable with unittest
> and the did not have the "magic" present in earlier versions of py.test.
> I wrote a recipe (somewhat rough and incomplete) that shows how
> easily this could be done:

Bringing the total amount of test modules in the stdlib to 3. OWTDI indeed.

Anyway, I don't think something like needs to be (re)written. nose[1]
is already an excellent implementation of this that I would like to
see in the stdlib.

[1] http://www.somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/

--
Cheers,