[Python-Dev] PEP: Consolidating names and classes in the `unittest` module (updated 2008-07-15)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jul 15 15:48:08 CEST 2008

Andrew Bennetts <andrew-pythondev at puzzling.org> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:
> > > From: Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> >
> > That measured only usage of unittest *within the Python standard
> > library*. Is that the only body of unittest-using code we need
> > consider?
>
> Three more data points then:
>
> bzr: 13228 assert* vs. 770 fail*.
> Twisted: 6149 assert* vs. 1666 fail*.
> paramiko: 431 assert* vs. 4 fail*.
>
> The data seems pretty overwhelmingly in favour of keeping assert*.

Noted, thanks.

So far I have "precedent and tradition" and "positive admonition looks
better" in support of preferring the 'assert*' names. Are there any
others?

I believe I've stated (in the most-recent PEP revision) the strongest
reasons in favour of the 'fail*' names.

This all gets summarised in the Rationale section for the PEP.

--
 \           “Killing the creator was the traditional method of patent |
  `\                        protection” —Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_ |