[Python-Dev] PEP: Consolidating names and classes in the `unittest` module (updated 2008-07-15)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 15 15:51:41 CEST 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:54:25 pm Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

> Some greps on random Python projects give me a 4-10:1 ratio for
> assert* versus fail*.

Without knowing what those "random" projects are, or what the grep was,
it's impossible to interpret that statistic. For example, is it biased
by the existence of the assert keyword? Do they represent programmers'
free choices, or the projects' compulsory style guides?

> Personally I also find the assert* syntax preferable over fail*.

Thank you for acknowledging that as a personal preference rather than
making another spurious claim of objective superiority.

--
Steven