[Python-Dev] PEP: Consolidating names and classes in the `unittest` module (updated 2008-07-15)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 16 00:36:56 CEST 2008

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

> Terry Reedy writes:
>
>  > For the community as a whole, all stdlib modules are suggestions
>  > and examples, not commands.
>
> Well, even if "standard" is too strong a word, the DeprecationWarnings
> and eventual removal of the methods surely constitute an imposition.

I understood Terry's statement as meaning that there is no commandment
to use the standard library 'unittest' module at all. If a user
doesn't like the behaviour of a module (such as 'unittest') in the
standard library, they can accept the burden of implementing one that
behaves the way they like.

--
 \       “I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make |
  `\                                      an exception.” —Groucho Marx |