[Python-Dev] PEP: Consolidating names and classes in the `unittest`module (updated 2008-07-15)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 07:25:12 CEST 2008

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
>> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > the shortest
>> > possible way of writing negative assertions (i.e. asserting that
>> > something is not the case) is to treat them as denials and use the
>> > single word 'deny'.
>>
>> This, to me, is neither intuitive nor meaningful in context. The term
>> "deny" is strongly linked to its antonym, "permit".
>
> "Deny" also has the meaning of claiming that something is
> not true (as in "deny an allegation"). When used that way,
> it's not an antonym of "permit".
>
> However, that meaning doesn't quite seem to fit here, as
> we don't just want to claim that the condition is false,
> but *ensure* that it's false. I can't think of a single
> word offhand that means that.

That was the meaning I was going for, but I agree that it doesn't quite
fit well enough to make it a good idea. There's a reason I put that
disclaimer at the top of the message :)

What did you think of the "check" idea at the end of the email?

Test assertions:
   check(x).almost_equal(y)
   check(x).is_(y)
   check(x).in_(y)