[Python-Dev] PEP: Consolidating names and classes in the `unittest`module (updated 2008-07-15)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 16 09:53:22 CEST 2008

Andrew Bennetts <andrew-pythondev at puzzling.org> writes:

> This is a textbook example of a bikeshed discussion. The names (and
> now syntax!) of assertions are the most cosmetic issue there is with
> the unittest module, yet I see over *200* messages about it.

I've found it much more insightful than you seem to. I'm sorry it
hasn't been of more interest to you, but please don't discount the
value of this discussion for the rest of us.

> Deeper, but important issues, such as how to raise structured
> exceptions that a GUI test runner could usefully display and
> introspect, are ignored. I can list lots of others.

I look forward to you writing, promoting, and championing the PEP
document(s) for these issues that you consider important.

--
 \      “Some forms of reality are so horrible we refuse to face them, |
  `\     unless we are trapped into it by comedy. To label any subject |