[Python-Dev] Reminder: beta 2's schedule for tomorrow
barry at python.org
Wed Jul 16 15:18:19 CEST 2008
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
On Jul 15, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> If there is anything you need a decision on, please follow up to
> this thread. I'm inundated with email so I can't watch every thread
> on the mailing lists. Or ping me on #python-dev.
I'm not currently optimistic that we can release today.
As I see it we have several problems serious enough to delay a
release. First, we have no green 2.6 or 3.0 buildbots
It looks like few of the buildbots for 2.6 are actually online, but
still, the 3.0 buildbots are all failing.
We still have, and have had for a long time now, serious problems with
the multiprocessing module:
I noticed today that _multiprocessing.so has build problems on OS X
10.5 and Ubuntu 8.04. I opened a separate issue about that so as not
to get lost in the other bug about test_multiprocessing hanging. As
evidenced by the thread for issue 3088, lots of people have put a lot
of work into this module, but unfortunately we're still not there.
These seem serious enough to me to hold up the release, especially
since we have only one more beta left.
Speaking of which, we have a number of deferred blockers:
These will not block beta 2, but they /will/ block beta 3, so they
really need some attention.
Please everyone, if you have only a little bit of time to work on
Python, I hope you will attack the release critical and deferred
blocker issues, and work on turning the buildbots green. These are
the top priorities in order to get 2.6 and 3.0 out on time. And just
as added incentive, our October 1st goal is being noted by downstream
vendors. I've been told that "Apple is willing to take the new Python
if it is GM on schedule by Oct 1st, but may not if it is delayed"
though you should not infer anything about Apple's schedule from this.
Still, we won't sacrifice quality in order to hit the October 1st
goal. After beta 2, I start getting mean. :)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the Python-Dev