[Python-Dev] PEP 3101: floats format 'f' and 'F'

Eric Smith eric+python-dev at trueblade.com
Wed Jul 16 16:35:16 CEST 2008

Does anyone know why 'F' is the same as 'f'?  Wouldn't it make more
sense to either drop it, or make it convert the exponent to upper case
(like 'E' and 'G')?  Compatibility with %-formatting is the only reason
I can think of to keep up, but I get the sense we've given up on an
automatic conversion from %-formatting to str.format().  Plus, I can
find no uses of '%F' in the standard library.

And really, if you could write something to automatically convert
%-formatting to str.format(), you'd be able to make 'F' to 'f', anyway.

I know it's a nit, but I'm reviewing the documentation and it sticks out.