[Python-Dev] Unittest PEP do's and don'ts (BDFL pronouncement)

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed Jul 16 22:37:16 CEST 2008

From: "Michael Foord" <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk>
> I assume this doesn't rule out the addition of [some of..] the new
> convenience test methods?

In Kent Beck's book on Test Driven Development, he complains that most
unittest implementations spawned from his original work have grown far
too complicated and would be better served by sticking to a simple
framework for writing and running tests.

Accordlingly, if a new test method gets added, it needs to add some
signficant new capability.  IMO, little "convenience" methods like
self.assertLessThan() do not meet the criterion.  Polluting the module
with more methods makes it harder to fit into your head and does
little to simplify the task of writing mountains of tests.

If some people want to proceed down the path of "useful additions",
I challenge them to think bigger.  Give me some test methods that
improve my life.  Don't give me thirty ways to spell something I can
already do.

Raymond