[Python-Dev] Unittest PEP do's and don'ts (BDFL pronouncement)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 17 00:52:41 CEST 2008

Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> writes:

> Collecting testcases from the filesystem is a pain. But actually
> writing tests (including custom TestCases) using the unittest API is
> fine. I find unittest straightforward and readable, I like it.
>
> I don't understand a lot of the criticism comes in for.

For my part, I wanted the redundancies removed and the PEP 8
conformance fixed as a precondition too *any* addition to the unittest
API.

Without those two (and the BDFL's pronouncement at the head of this
thread means they're not an option), I can't see the unittest API
getting anything except increasingly hideous and painful to use.

--
 \     “Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands |
  `\                                             it.” —Albert Einstein |