[Python-Dev] Unittest PEP do's and don'ts (BDFL pronouncement)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Jul 17 04:22:06 CEST 2008

Ben Finney wrote:
> Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> writes:
>
>> Collecting testcases from the filesystem is a pain. But actually
>> writing tests (including custom TestCases) using the unittest API is
>> fine. I find unittest straightforward and readable, I like it.
>>
>> I don't understand a lot of the criticism comes in for.
>
> For my part, I wanted the redundancies removed and the PEP 8
> conformance fixed as a precondition too *any* addition to the unittest
> API.
>
> Without those two (and the BDFL's pronouncement at the head of this
> thread means they're not an option), I can't see the unittest API
> getting anything except increasingly hideous and painful to use.

Yes, but unless I misunderstand you, you don't regard a mass renaming of
the module's functionality and removal of existing aliases as a change
to the API. As far as I'm concerned, if I have to alter my code to use
the updated module you have changed the API. Test code is particularly
sensitive to such changes.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119