[Python-Dev] Unittest PEP do's and don'ts (BDFL pronouncement)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 17 05:30:26 CEST 2008

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > The result I'm trying to avoid by this is that of having the
> > externally visible behaviour of functions drift from the promise
> > made by their names. Either rename the function, or create a new
> > one for the new functionality.
>
> Oh get over it. This is getting ridiculous.

Indeed.

> Where did you *get* these design "principles" you are so fond of?

The Zen of Python.

> Read the zen of Python and come back after you've memorized it.

The wonderful thing about the Zen of Python is that I can find support
in it for *all* the contradictory views expresed in these threads.

The Zen needs interpretation by mortals with human judgement in order
to apply its principles.

--
 \       "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are |
  `\        fools, and those who dare not, are slaves." —“Lord” George |