[Python-Dev] No beta2 tonight

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 15:16:37 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> We have green buildbots, yay!  Thanks everyone for that.
>
> However, we still have three release blocker issues that I am not
> comfortable deferring.
>
> 3088 test_multiprocessing hangs intermittently on POSIX platforms
> 3375 _multiprocessing.so build problems
> 874900 threading module can deadlock after fork
>
> My biggest concern is 3375 and 3088, the latter has a dependency on 874900.
>
> 3375 is very strange since a subsequent 'make' completes just fine.  This
> issue happens for me on both OS X 10.5 and Ubuntu 8.04 for py3k.
>
> 3088 does not appear to be happening now on OS X or Ubuntu, but the issue
> (and its dependent issue) are not closed, so I'm not sure exactly what's
> going on here.
>
> So we'll give these releases another 24 hours.  Please, if you have time see
> what you can do about resolving these three blockers.  Chat with me on
> #python-dev if you think we should release anyway.  I will try to look into
> 3375, but I'd like to know if anybody else is seeing these build failures.
>
> I'll note that I plan to hold the beta3 releases until all release blocker
> and deferred blockers are resolved.
>
> - -Barry

Quick status update, since I'm the gating factor.

3088: I didn't want to close this until 874900's patch was submitted,
ported to py3k and I saw green build bots. By the time I went to sleep
last night, we were still seeing 2to3 test timeouts on the build bots.
I will port the patch to 3k today and lower the priority of 874900 and
close 3088 shortly.

3375: Guido (thanks guido) looked into this, and while I banged my
head on it a lot yesterday - guido's identified the issue, and now I
need to figure out a fix - help is welcome on this one.

I apologize for not getting these resolved last night

-jesse