[Python-Dev] Python VM

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 21 23:15:40 CEST 2008

Jakob Sievers wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been reading the Python VM sources over the last few afternoons and
> I took some notes, which I thought I'd share (and if anyone familiar
> with the VM internals could have a quick look at them, I'd really
> appreciate it).

This is the CPython VM.  Other implementations do what they do.  Perhaps
similar, but certainly different in details.

There have been various requests over the years on
Python-list/comp.lang.python for documents describing the C-VM.  The
usual answer has been 'read the source' as you did.  So I encourage you
to announce it there and perhaps consider adding a PyWiki page (I assume
there is not one now).

tjr