[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] Removing bsddb module from py3k (was Re: No beta2 tonight)

Josiah Carlson josiah.carlson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 19:26:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 2:26 AM, Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> wrote:

> Josiah Carlson wrote:
> | I'm still curious as to what deep features people are using in bsddb.
> | Anyone have any pointers to open source software?
>
> I'm using replication and distributed transactions. Database encryption
> and page integrity checks. Abusing the master election BDB
> infrastructure for some evil but fun purposes. Managing databases in the
> 200 terabyte range. Locking & logging infrastructure to implement
> application logic integrated with database operation. MVCC everywhere.
>
> Nothing I can show you without killing you after, though.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for :).  Though I don't know
if you are the "typical user"; I don't have enough data (the few
others that sent messages here and privately weren't using it to your
extent).

Some of those features are possible to add without huge amounts of
work (an afternoon or two), but indeed, some of those are not possible
without substantial investment and testing.

> Independently of current bsddb usage profile, current 2.6 code support
> for distributed transactions and replication enables new application
> uses that sqlite can't match.
>
> Since I'm taking full responsability over bsddb both in 2.6 and 3.0, I
> don't really see what the issue is. Past mistakes and maintenance
> nightmares WILL NOT be repeated.

Your taking over of maintenance is part of the reason why I withdrew
my offer ;) .

 - Josiah