[Python-Dev] lnotab and the AST optimizer

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jul 25 03:26:00 CEST 2008

Thomas Lee wrote:
> I'm making some good progress with the AST optimizer, and now the main
> thing standing in my way is lnotab.

My suggestion would be to drop the idea of trying to
compress the lnotab in clever ways, and just make it
a straightforward list of bytecode offset/line number
pairs. I can't imagine that the size of an uncompressed
lnotab would be a problem in this day and age.

If ordering is an issue, generate it internally as a
dict and convert it to a sorted list on output.

--
Greg