[Python-Dev] Status of mingw and Python 2.6 ?

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc amauryfa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 09:19:32 CEST 2008

Jim Kleckner wrote:
> I gave it a try with cygwin-hosted mingw just to see
> if that would work as an alternative to VS2008/VC9 to
> figure out some linkage problems.
>
> I tried:
>  python setup.py build_ext --compiler mingw32
>
> and got a version string issue noted below which
> rejects the version string printed from the loader
> ld as an inappropriate form.
>
> I seem to recall that mingw was expected to work with 2.6.
> Is it?

[...]
>  File "c:\Python26\lib\distutils\version.py", line 107, in parse
>    raise ValueError, "invalid version number '%s'" % vstring
> ValueError: invalid version number '2.18.50.20080523'

There are actually two problems with MinGW. Your issue is the same as
See http://bugs.python.org/issue2234

But MinGW is also not completely compatible with the msvcr90.dll runtime:
http://bugs.python.org/issue3308
For example, if the extension module contains standard date functions
(using time_t), it won't load.

--
Amaury Forgeot d'Arc