[Python-Dev] str(container) should call str(item), not repr(item)

Matt Giuca matt.giuca at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 12:58:05 CEST 2008

Another disadvantage of calling str recursively rather than repr is that it
places an onus on anyone writing a class to write both a repr and a str
method (or be inconsistent with the newly-accepted standard for container
types).

I personally write a repr method for most classes, which aids debugging.
This means all my classes behave like containers currently do - their str
will call repr on the items. This proposal will make all of my classes
behave inconsistently with the standard container types.

- Matt Giuca