[Python-Dev] Matrix product

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 15:51:42 CEST 2008

Sebastien Loisel wrote:
> Dear Raymond,
> Thank you for your email.
>> I think much of this thread is a repeat of conversations
>> that were held for PEP 225:
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0225/
>> That PEP is marked as deferred.  Maybe it's time to
>> bring it back to life.
> This is a much better PEP than the one I had found, and would solve
> all of the numpy problems. The PEP is very well thought-out.

A very interesting read! I wouldn't support some of the more exotic
elements tacked on to the end (particularly the replacement of the now
thoroughly entrenched bitwise operators), but the basic idea of
providing ~op variants of several operators seems fairly sound. I'd be
somewhat inclined to add ~not, ~and and ~or to the list  even though
that would pretty much force the semantics to be elementwise for the ~
variants (since the standard not, and and or are always objectwise and
without PEP 335 there's no way for an object to change that).