[Python-Dev] Memory Error while reading large file

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jul 31 23:43:55 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Scott Dial
<scott+python-dev at scottdial.com> wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>
>> (maybe the use of the question mark is more typical in German
>> than in English; my stomach turns around when I read a question
>> that ends with a full stop)
>
> There is no loss in translation here. Proper English requires the use of a
> question mark just the same as German, but you can't assume proper English
> will be used on a forum of communication like this one. The OP stated his
> problem, and maybe he doesn't know enough English to actually ask his
> question (I'm guessing by the name "Sumant Gupta"). I don't believe you are
> native speaker yourself, and I would've expected more sympathy from you.
> Lord knows I hope the recipients of any German I write will have some.

On the level of mercy: (a) this is python-dev, which is explicitly
*not* for user questions; (b) the OP didn't show any actual code nor
error messages, which makes it impossible to help him unless you're
clairvoyant. Unfortunately we get quite a few of such ill-defined
problems in this list, despite it not being the wrong list, and my own
patience wears thin at times too. (I also get quite a bit of personal
mail of the same nature.)