[Python-Dev] Assignment to None

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Fri Jun 13 05:17:34 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Frank Wierzbicki <fwierzbicki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Curt Hagenlocher <curt at hagenlocher.org> wrote:
> > If I recall correctly, Jython handles this by appending a trailing
> > underscore to the imported name and there's no reason why we couldn't
> > do something similar.
>
> In truth the current implementation of Jython allows keywords in many
> strange places, I expect this was done to allow for method names that
> are not keywords in Java so, for example, if there is a method called
> "print" in a Java class that we want to call (quite common) then it
> can be called.  As far as I know appended underscores don't enter into
> it.

After posting that message, I did what I should have done initially
which was to ask Jim Hugunin about it.  He said that Jython had gotten
Guido's blessing to parse keywords in a context-sensitive fashion --
so that "foo.{keyword}" might be considered legal under certain
circumstances.  I don't, alas, have any specific cites to that end,
but I suspect that we'll be following that precedent :).

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org