[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r64424 - in python/trunk:Include/object.h Lib/test/test_sys.py Misc/NEWSObjects/intobject.c Objects/longobject.c Objects/typeobject.cPython/bltinmodule.c

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Jun 26 20:50:08 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org>
>>
>> So as far as the feature design goes, I offer some suggestions: a new
>> module; or a new function in math; or a new method on float. Since
>> Raymond is the champion for the feature let him choose the API from
>> those alternatives.
>
> I choose bin/hex/oct methods on floatobjects.
> Will work-up a patch.

Let's step back and discuss the API some more.

- Do we need all three?

- If so, why not .tobase(N)? (Even if N is restricted to 2, 8 and 16.)

- What should the output format be? I know you originally favored
0b10101.010101 etc. Now that it's not overloaded on the bin/oct/hex
builtins, the constraint that it needs to be an eval() able expression
may be dropped (unless you see a use case for that too).