[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] The release process

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sun Mar 2 00:24:45 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I guess every release manager is free to come up with his own set of
> tools, but I feel you've given up too quickly (or started too late -
> perhaps a test release run a few days before the release would have
> helped).
>
> In any case, I'm willing to help with welease, but not with yet another
> release tool. If you primarily complain about the GUIness of welease,
> I could help with a command line version of it.

[python dev only]

It may sound like a dumb question by why do we need a release tool at
all? I was involved in the release process of 3.0a2. Almost every step
of the build process required human interaction. I don't want to
diminish the effort that was put into welease though. But maybe (!) the
same time spent for fixing some bugs would have helped the RM more.

Christian