[Python-Dev] Compiler used to build Python for Windows

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Mar 5 01:10:49 CET 2008

Christian Heimes wrote:
> Bob Kline wrote:
>> Any possibility of revisiting this question (upgrading to a more recent
>> compiler for Windows builds of Python)?
>
> The latest alphas of Python 2.6 and 3.0 are build with VS 2088. I've
                                                             ^^^^
Been out in the time machine, eh?
> spent some time to get the new build system ready for Python 3.0a2.
>
> Is VS 2008 recent enought for you? :]

It would be really nice if we could maintain two parallel Windows
versions, one with an open source tool chain like Mingw and one with the
latest and greatest MS production line. Unfortunately the problem seems
to be developer effort. For a long time only Martin and Tim were serious
about the Windows platform, and I can appreciate (some of) the extra
effort that parallel development platforms would require.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119