[Python-Dev] Documentation for ability to execute zipfiles & directories

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 15:15:29 CET 2008

Georg Brandl wrote:
> Steve Holden schrieb:
>> Paul Moore wrote:
>>> There is a Python man page, which covers the command line usage.
>>> However, it's separate from the documentation, and it isn't bundled
>>> with the Windows installers - both of which are a real pain (for me,
>>> at least).
>>>
>>> I'd suggest taking the man page, adding the information about
>>> executing zip files and directories, and putting the whole lot into
>>> the formal documentation.
>
> Look no further: http://docs.python.org/dev/using/cmdline.html

Thanks Georg, that looks like exactly the right place - I'll try to get
that updated before the next alpha.

>> I've always found it rather counter-intuitive that you have to go to the
>> Library Reference manual to find information about Python's built-in
>> types, for example. I though the whole point of libraries was that they
>> *aren't* built in, and represent baggage that should only be carried on
>> necessary trips.
>
> You speak my mind. For ages I've wanted to put the builtins together with
> the language reference into a new document called "Python Core Language".
> I've just never had the time to draft a serious proposal.

I borrowed the keys to Guido's time machine:

http://svn.python.org/view/sandbox/trunk/userref/

It hasn't been updated for a lot of the 2.6/3.0 features as yet, but it
may be a decent basis for what you're considering here.

(and all credit to this thread for motivating me to actually get those
files cleaned up and into the sandbox - I've been thinking about doing
it for ages, but never got around to it).

(For MS Office users, you may need to get OpenOffice.org or similar in
order to read the Open Document Format files)

Cheers,
Nick.