[Python-Dev] Compiler used to build Python for Windows

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Mar 6 01:52:57 CET 2008

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
>> Is this mainly a request to use more open source tools?  Because if
>> the concern is just cost, Python 2.6 and 3.0 compile with the free
>> Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Express editions.
>
> I don't think it's only about cost, it's about not
> being reliant on tools that appear and disappear at
> the whim of Microsoft. Their "free" compilers only
> last until the next version, then they become
> unavailable. So it can still be a problem finding
> exactly the right version to match your Python
> installation, if you missed the window of opportunity
> to download it.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to avoid "Microsoft Version Churn"
without having to spring for the commercial versions of Visual Studio.

Mingw tends to be rather more stable (though not itself without the
occasional library compatibility issue), and more freely available.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119