[Python-Dev] Complexity documentation request

Dimitrios Apostolou jimis at gmx.net
Mon Mar 10 17:37:51 CET 2008

Fred Drake wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Aahz wrote:
>> This has been discussed before and rejected for two reasons:
>>
>> * Other Python implementations (Jython, PyPy, IronPython) may not be
>> able to provide the same type implementations
>>
>> * Algorithmic information does sometimes change between versions, and
>> keeping the docs updated is not trivial
>
> Also, given the significance of the constant factors and the fact that
> these are significantly dependent, especially for containers, on the
> objects passed in (either to be contained or tested), it's not clear
> that it often makes sense to worry about at too detailed a level.
> Common sense, knowledge of the interpreter, and experience are often
> more valuable the easily-outdated documentation.

Fair enough but the fact is that this documentation already exists, at
random locations unfortunately. Who would expect to find such valuable
info in a rejected PEP (3128)! I will agree that experience and
interpreter inside knowledge is most valuable for choosing the right
structure, but isn't this too much for occasional python programmers?

Thanks,
Dimitris