[Python-Dev] Python XML Validator

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 21:04:11 CET 2008

On 11 Mar, 2008, at 18:01, Stefan Behnel wrote:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:55:04 +0100 Stefan Behnel
>> <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>>> (weird places these threads come up at, but now that it's here...)
>>
>> Please note that this original complaint is *not* mine. However...
>>
>>> Due to a design problem in MacOS-X, not a problem in lxml.
>>
>> I didn't find it noticeably harder to install lxml on MacOS-X than
>> most other systems.
>
> It seems to be for a number of people, though, who turn up on the
> mailing list
> complaining about just that.

What can make life a bit harder on OSX is universal binaries, although
those aren't too hard either.

BTW. Which design problem?

BTW2. Discusion of problems with building lxml on OSX are better
suited for the pythonmac-sig list (or the lxml one of course).

>> Yes, but the proposal was to include it in the Python standard
>> library. Software that doesn't work on popular target platforms
>> without updating a standard system library isn't really suitable for
>> that.
>
> Hmm, coming somewhat back on-topic: how does Python currently handle
> its
> dependencies under MacOS-X? SQLite, for example? Does it use system
> libraries
> only, or are there libraries it ships with? (The MacOS distro is
> much bigger,
> but that might be due to the universal build - although that
> suggests that
> MacOS-X users do not care about disk space or download size anyway)

The .dmg on python.org includes it's own copies of sqlite, ncurses and
berkeley db. That's mostly needed to be able to run on 10.3.9 or
later. My guess is that the size difference with other binary
distributions is mostly due to universal binaries, those double the
size of executables.  This might get worse in the future, I hope to
find some time go make the python framework 4-way universal (32-bit
and 64-bit code on PPC and Intel).

Ronald