[Python-Dev] 2.6 and 3.0 project management

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Mar 16 14:51:20 CET 2008

Python 3.0 and 2.6 are coming along really nice. I am optimistic that
we can make the projected August date for the final releases of 2.6
and 3.0. As you may remember, Barry (the new release manager for both)
suggested that we synchronize releases of 2.6 and 3.0. Not only could
this potentially save the release manager and his assistants some
time, doing the final releases together sends a clear signal to the
community that both versions will receive equal support.

However, looking at the calendar, I think we need to do a little more
planning and management than we've typically done for Python releases.
A final release in August means that we should plan to release a first
beta in June and a second one in July. That means we have time for
only two more alpha releases (April and May). I'm thinking of 1-2
release candidates 1-2 weeks ahead of the final release. Barry can
make up a more detailed timetable. I'm fine with some slippage
(especially if planned ahead) of individual releases due to
availability of release personnel; but I don't want to be held up by
features or bugs unless they are of absolutely dramatic show-stopping
nature.

In order to make such a tight release schedule we should try to come
up with a list of tasks that need to be done, and prioritize them.
This should include documentation, and supporting tools like 2to3. It
should include features, backports of features, cleanup, bugs, and
whatever else needs to be done (e.g. bugbot maintenance).

In the past we've used shared spreadsheets in Google for this purpose,
but seeing that these haven't been updated in ages, I'm skeptical that
they are a sufficient tool. In my day job at Google we've started to
do all task management for our project in the bug tracker (but that
tracker has some features that make it particularly easy). Does anyone
have a suggestion for an online open shared task management system
that we cold adopt? Or should we bite the bullet and put everything in
the bug tracker? Other suggestions? Anything's better than just
email...

PS. I realize that I've been rather absent from the day to day
activities in the Python 3000 world lately. This is a temporary
condition due to an important impending launch in my day job; I expect
to have much more time for Python again starting in April.