[Python-Dev] Fwd: 2.6 and 3.0 project management

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Mar 16 17:40:32 CET 2008

Sorry, forgot to CC this to the list.

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 9:31 AM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

 >     Guido> It has a much more detailed set of categories, organized as a
 >     Guido> tree.  Our project alone probably has 20-30 different bug
 >     Guido> categories. New bugs in those categories are automatically CC'ed
 >     Guido> to our group's mailing list (which isn't the same as
 >     Guido> auto-assignment).
 >
 >  Adding categories should be easy.  Organized in trees?  Not so sure.

 The tree is really useful because it means that end users can assign
 bugs to the top-level node for a project and the project members can
 move it to the correct subnode. This can even happen in two triage
 stages for large projects.

 >     Guido> There are also more "bug states" you can use to track progress of
 >     Guido> a bug through the system: unassigned, assigned, accepted (meaning
 >     Guido> the assignee is actually working on it). (There are also a whole
 >     Guido> bunch that I don't find so useful, and severam that roundup
 >     Guido> already supports.)
 >
 >  Again, I think this should be easy.

 It's also the least important one on my list.

 >     Guido> But perhaps the best feature is "hot lists" -- arbitrary,
 >     Guido> ordered, groupings of selected bugs. Each bug can be assigned to
 >     Guido> as many hot lists as you want. Seeing the list of all bugs in a
 >     Guido> particular hot list is one click away. We use this for overlaying
 >     Guido> project management categories and priorities, such as "code",
 >     Guido> "documentation", "configuration" as well as "next internal
 >     Guido> release", "must have", "post launch" etc.
 >
 >  A hot list sounds like a saved search, which Roundup already supports.  It
 >  also supports making these saved searches public.  I suspect you could
 >  define one or more saved public searches which correspond to desired hot
 >  lists.

 Not quite. Items don't automatically end up on a hot list; they must
 explicitly be put on one. I'm not sure how you'd simulate this via
 saved searches. Maybe a combination of a custom keyword *and* a saved
 search would help. However this doesn't scale so well, because
 keywords show up in everybody's UI. Hot lists are only visible to
 users who care to subscribe to them.

[Georg, in a later post]
> Doesn't this match Roundup's keywords?

See above answer.