[Python-Dev] [Python-3000] 2.6 and 3.0 project management

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 16 23:52:56 CET 2008

Benjamin Peterson writes:

 > It's just depends on how you see the tracker. It's not just to "bug" tracker
 > anymore, is it? On other projects I've worked with, we had separate areas
 > for bugs, features, and tasks. (yes, it's SourceForge.) I found it easier to
 > keep organized. However, if this is Python's way, I'm not going to stand in
 > it.

You (as an ordinary user) can have it both ways in the same instance.

If Martin adds a "task" issue type (which is easy to do in Roundup),
then you personally can create and save queries for "task", "bug",
"feature", etc.  Your view of the database will then be more like
sourceforge.

On the other hand, cross-referencing and creating dependencies across
issue types becomes a lot easier if they're in the same database.
That's important for some issues.

 > > > We could change the statuses around to "Work in progress", "Completed",
 > > > "Incomplete", and such. It'd be easy to search for tasks that have to be
 > > > accomplished for a given release.

I've done this for XEmacs's tracker.  It's definitely feasible.  I'm
subscribed to tracker-discuss, so I'll not go into detail here.