[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Mar 17 15:19:11 CET 2008

At 08:48 AM 3/17/2008 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> >  So, if the consensus is that it would be better to have a module that
> >  only does bootstrap installs of pure-Python eggs from PyPI, I'm
> >  totally fine with that.
>
>Let's just do this; it will avoid a protracted discussion of the
>merits of eggs, pkg_resources, and setuptools.

Well, it might be replaced by a protracted discussion of how the
module should work and what its API should be, but perhaps that would
be a better one to have.  :)

So, the original proposal (from the previous thread about this) was
that the module be named easy_install, and that it simply downloads
setuptools and delegates to the "real" easy_install.  That way,
people can simply use "python -m easy_install ...", without worrying
about whether setuptools has been installed yet.

IIRC, other package management tools such as zc.buildout and
workingenv can then be installed using easy_install.

Any objections?  Should I revise the PEP?