[Python-Dev] PEP 365 (Adding the pkg_resources module)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Mar 17 18:59:46 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 12:17 PM 3/17/2008 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>  >There will be no egg support in the standard library.
>
>  Are there any qualifications on that statement, or is this in the
>  same category as "from __future__ import braces"?

IIUC eggs are a method of package management that includes support for
dependencies, multiple versions, and C extensions in zip files, as
well as conventions for naming these and for encoding metadata (e.g.
how to find out the version or the dependencies). This whole set of
conventions is IMO too much to include into the stdlib ATM -- if only
because it has proved controversial in the past. Maybe a few years
from now it will be no longer controversial and then my objections
will disappear.